Saturday, June 20, 2009

Art oF Living: Devon Apple Pie

I love apple! I love all kinds of pastry using apple.
I spent a number of summers at Southey Farm, Devon, England - a place where I had a lot of fond memories. The farm kitchen was spacious and it was heaven for me to show my culinary skills! There were 2 cookers in the kitchen, and one of them was an ancient electric cooker that I became very fond of; I felt I was traveling back to the old days of England that I never experienced of. Both cookers were great for cooking and baking. The apple orchard was practically just outside the kitchen, all the trees were full of apples! Often I just walked across and picked a full basket of apples.

My apple pie was definitely a winner at the numerous country dinner parties in those summers. Claire, Mark and Steven all loved the apple pie! And Mr Big, the landlord, without fail went for the second huge slice!
This is a Devon Apple Pie recipe for Southey Farm.
Ingredients:

Double crusts for 9-inch pie (I recommend using Pillsbury crust; it is just as good as home-made)
6 -7 good size apple

¾ cup sugar

2 tablespoon of honey

2 tablespoon flour

¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg

1/8 teaspoon of all spice

Pinch of salt


1) Heat oven to 425 degrees. Place on pie crust on a 9-inch floured pie plate. Press firmly against side and bottom.
2) Peel, core and slice the apples. Cut all in even sizes; I like my apple chunky.
3) Mix sugar, honey, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, all spice and salt in large bowl.
4) Stir in apples.
5) Pour into pastry-lined pie plate.
6) Cover with top crust and seal the edges. Cut slits in the top crust. As shown on the picture, I used fork to engrave a letter “S” for Southey.
Tips: Cover edge with 3-inch strip of aluminum foil to prevent burning. Remove foil during last 15 minutes of baking.
8) Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until crust is brown and juice begins to bubble through slits in crust.

Serve warm or room temperature with ice cream and a cup of tea.

You may also like this
click below

Southey Apple Cake
Beautiful Living
Afternoon Tea

Southey Farm

No comments:

Post a Comment