Monday, February 22, 2010

Architecture - Entrance Doorway

Upper East Side
Entrance Door

I have a passion for doors and windows ...

In architecture, the facade of a building is often the most important from a design standpoint, as it sets the tone for the rest of the building.

This weekend while I was walking in my neighborhood, I decided to take pictures of the entrance gates and doors that caught my attention.

The front entrance is so important for a building, it tells a story, it reflects who are the people living there; and one could see much attention and budget have given for the front entrances from these by-gone era's-architects and owners.

click on image to enlarge
Broken curved pediments ... lovely fish
Charming green door ...

Classical pediment with Festive Corinthian columns ...

click on image to enlarge

A red door makes a statement to otherwise an unnoticeable entrance ...

Two lions guarding the entrance ...

Classical entrance with beautiful wrought iron door ...


second Green front door I came across ...

by far the most ornate entrance I came across today ...

click on image to enlarge
Ionic Marble columns ...

Another entrance with columns and black door ...

Once a horse stable that turn into an apartment ...
this 'door' or 'gate' always get my attention.

Small scale of Solomonic column entrance with red door ...

Home

You might also like
Windows & Doors
Window BoxRoads

3 comments:

  1. I always learn so many things
    from your postings, Things
    we often take for granted...
    thank you Christopher...

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear Anonymous
    Thank you for your comments. I appreciate it.
    I am glad you learn something from my blog .., I hope we can inspire each other. If there is a topic within my blog's theme, please do not hesitate to let me know. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a really enjoyable tour of some beautiful, welcoming entrances that make statements. Thanks, Craig

    ReplyDelete